Fried Eggplant. This is one of my go-to comfort foods. Very easy to make and you can experiment with spices to your taste.
- One large egg plant sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garam masalla
- 3 tbsp olive or mustard oil. The latter gives it an interesting (and tastey) pungency.
- Additional oil to for frying
- Mix all the spices with the oil
- Cover both sides of the sliced egg-plant and set aside
- Put a thin layer of oil on a frying pan over high heat
- As soon as the oil appears to start smoking, put a single layer of eggplant into the pan (as much as can fit)
- Turn down the heat and saute until almost cooked but not burned (5-7 minutes)
- Flip and saute the other side.
- You might need to add a little bit more oil and turn up the heat
- Repeat until all the slices are cooked